Tuesday, March 9, 2010

eggs anyone?

I live on a farm, and I've discovers that animals do some pretty weird things. Did you know that turkey's will drowned if left out in the rain. It's true. Stupid birds will turn their beaks up to catch raindrops and forget to swallow. Did you know that rabbits scream like little children and will try their hardest to scratch your eyes out with their cute little paws? They will if they think you are feeding them to the dogs!

A few weeks ago, I walked out to the chicken pen to try and collect eggs. Our chickens do not really lay eggs on any kind of a regular bases, and when they do, it is never in the chicken house, so my whole venture was foolhardy from the start. As I flipped the latch to go into the pen, I see a hairy white monstrosity poke his cute, guilty face out of the hen's house and pear guiltily in my direction, licking his long white beard frantically. Sam, my buck (or billy goat for you city folk) had managed to sneak into the chicken house and devour every last egg! Now, believe it or not, once I moved said woolly behemoth from said chicken pen, I actually started getting chicken eggs.

Two days ago, as I dragged my milking does in and out of the barn to feed them their breakfast, I noticed something odd. My most annoying doe, my doe who is always as the fence trying to get out (and usually succeeds) was nowhere to be found. Worried, I shoved past my hungry flock (herd?) of goats and went looking for her. As I rounded the corner, there she was, a yellow yolky mustache across her upper lip and a pile of cracked eggs as her hooves.

So was I surprised today when I entered the kids pen and found suspiciously gutted egg shells strewn around and a couple guilty looking kids? Ahh! I guess I can have eggs or I can have goats milk... if I feed my goats eggs do you think it makes the milk like an "eggnog"? Oh! if it does, do you think I could pour some chocolate syrup over their grain and get chocolate milk?!

just a thought

Monkey Brains

No comments:

Post a Comment